I’ve got a couple of projects in the works. Want to see them?
On the needles, I have another Through the Woods hood like I made before. (Sorry about the crummy picture – It’s not a particularly photogenic shape at the moment, I’m afraid.)
The one I made before was a natural wool color and practically flew off of my needles in the matter of a weekend. This one is black and is taking me a lot longer. Partially that is because it’s much harder to see the stitches in black wool and poor lighting, and I spend a lot of time squinting at it to make sure I’m doing the right thing. But mostly it’s because I’ve taken a lot of breaks. And I do mean a lot.
If I put my mind to it, I could have this thing done by the weekend.
Putting my mind to it, though, may be a problem because I am finding myself very distracted by this:
This is a design I was improvising a few months ago. It was to be one of a pair of stroller blankets. This one would consist of pastel circles, connected into squares by a dark taupe background color, and the other would be the same design, but with brighter-colored circles on a pale gray background.
I got thirty squares in on the first blanket, and decided that I wasn’t happy with the distance between the circles. I had really envisioned more background color when I started.
So, last week I set to taking apart the blanket square-by-square, and reconnecting the circles with three rounds of the background color per square, as opposed to the original one round.
I like that distance much more, and this is where the story would have paused while I finished up the whole thing, except for the fact that I really don’t relish taking apart the rest of those squares. It turns out I am really good at weaving in ends. What a pain it was to liberate the two squares shown above! Whatever I do when I’m weaving in ends is not easily undone. I’m very not excited about doing the other 28.
I think maybe I don’t have to, though. I’ve had another idea for a different-but-similar design, and it doesn’t require me to take apart the old one.
Instead of two stroller blankets, I’m just making one now. I’ve switched to using the pale gray background, and the pastel circles will now all include a ring of the darker color.
I have to do a few more of these and connect them together to see if it will do the trick, but I am optimistic. As soon as I’ve finished with this post, I plan to brew a warm drink, install myself on my bed, put an episode of George Gently on the ol’ Android TV, and whip out another few squares.
While I am doing that, feel free to share your opinion of my blanket fragments and tell me which configuration is your favorite!