I’ve had a set of two holiday throw pillows for several years. They’re not really my style anymore, and one of them has a split seam with stuffing coming out of it. Every year I pull these pillows out of storage, and every year I make a face and say to myself, “I really need to make festive covers for these.”
The living room has a Santa Claus theme, inspired by the magnificently-kitschy double-sided light-up Santa head in the window. I said this about Tacky Santa (as we now call him) in 2007:
He is another family hand-me-down to come our way when Neil’s parents moved to a smaller place earlier this year. Neil’s father used to love this huge, tacky, double-sided Santa head. Neil’s mother used to hide it away in the attic and claim she’d gotten rid of it so as to avoid having to display it. They hung it in the window last year to surprise Dad for the final Christmas in the old house. That was the moment when it was observed that there would be no place for Ugly Santa when they moved. And that was also the moment when I, apparently awash in a delirious fit of Christmas spirit, said, “We have a bay window. We can take it.” And now we’ve got it. It’s casting a red glow so impressive on the living room that I am thinking we don’t really even need a tree in there any more.
Tacky Santa has got an abundance of personality, and as such, it has seemed like the other decorations in that room should also have a similar vibe. And those pillows were totally not cutting it.
So I dug into my stash and pulled out the Alexander Henry “Merry Christmas Santa” fabric I’d been hording. This was originally earmarked for replacement PJs, as the boys had outgrown the ones I made them six years ago, and I wasn’t all that happy with the fit of my own. I’d had big plans for a new round of matching Santa pajamas, but I’d been dragging my heels on that for so many years that I finally just said, “forget it! this fabric is becoming new pillows!”
And with that, new pillows were born.
I covered the two ugly ones, and then I covered two more.
And then, just for kicks, I made a bigger (reversable) table cover than the one I had. Honestly, I don’t really love the way this came out, but I can live with it, since it’s mostly covered up anyway. If I had it to do again, I’d make it less scrappy, leave out the red panel, and not put on a binding. Maybe next year…
My goal with this room is to have an old-fashioned, slightly-tacky, Santa-centric, glittery vibe, and I think these pillows help quite a bit.