It took me the better part of the afternoon, but I made my first scarf today. I pieced together some coordinating fabrics for the front and used a solid-color flannel for the back. I also got to try out a technique that I had tested yesterday on scraps – polymer clay appliqué onto fabric. I am not particularly happy with the results. Structurally, it all seems just fine, but I was too messy in the process of applying the clay to the linen, and ended up with sloppy lines. I suspect this is going to be a technique that requires me not to rush through it… I’m sure I can do this more nicely next time, but I’m not sure what to do about this one. It looks perfectly fine from far away, but up close? Ew.
I made this as a gift for my grandmother’s birthday, but I’m having second thoughts. For one thing, there’s the messy appliqué issue. For another, I’m not sure it’s “grandmotherly” enough. Would you wear this scarf if you were 88 years old? Might it be too busy? I’m leaning towards giving it to her anyway. She can always turn it the other way and wear the solid color on the outside. And maybe the clay flower only bugs me because I know I could do it better given the time. Listen to me rationalize. Heh.
On the other hand, I could just buy her the usual sweater and keep the scarf for me. I just discovered I like playing dress-up
The nitty-gritty: The pattern is inspired by the Scrap Scarf in Denyse Schmidt Quilts, and top-stitched a la the Bend the Rules Sewing bib, because it made me feel more secure that way. I used selections from Heather Bailey’s Freshcut collection along with a solid linen/cotton blend for the front of the scarf, and a soft creme flannel for the lining. The polymer clay appliqué was made from canes I had created specifically to coordinate with some of the Freshcut patterns.