Well, I may have been able to pace myself, sweater-knitting-wise, for most of the project, but once that first sleeve was completed and the end was in sight, I was on a mission to finish. Thank goodness for three day weekends, and the ability to spend hours upon hours with the pointy sticks.
I finished knitting the sweater at 11pm Sunday, lightly blocked it overnight, made some matching buttons on Monday morning, and was happily wearing the darn thing by Monday afternoon.
It’s the second Tea Leaves I have made (more on the first one here), but there are some key differences between the two:
- I knit a smaller size on the new one, since I wanted something a little less roomy than the first.
- I switched out the garter stitch cuffs and bottom border for a 2×2 rib, so that I could push the sleeves up on my arm if I needed them out of the way while I work.
- I did a row of single-crochet along the neckline to keep it from being too stretchy.
- I added buttons all the way down the front, so that I could wear the sweater closed.
The buttons are actually another story. I made them with polymer clay, specifically to match this sweater. I photographed the process, so I can show you exactly how I made them. Look for that later this week.
I really am so happy with the way this sweater fits me. I couldn’t be more delighted that the modifications I made were actually successful. I’m no knitwear expert, but I spent enough time wandering around Ravelry and reading other knitters’ notes on this pattern that I felt fairly confident making changes. I love them. I may sleep in this sweater.
I couldn’t have finished it up on a better day, either. It was 55-ish degrees and cloudy – a quintessentially autumnal afternoon.
Wearing this sweater makes me want to get started on another sweater right away. I am going to try to resist until after Christmas. Maybe.
Pattern: Tea Leaves Cardigan by Melissa LaBarre
Yarn: Cascade 220 Tweed in Highland Green (711)
Needles: #8, #7 and #6 circulars, #7 dpns
Modifications: Replaced garter stitch cuffs with 2×2 ribbing, single-crocheted along neck edge to reduce stretching, added buttons down entire front. See my Ravelry notes for specifics.
Buttons: Handmade by me. Tutorial to follow 🙂