Let’s start with the fact that I was so rusty in terms of bag-making that I completely forgot how to sew it together and accidentally made something that ended up being like a doll quilt with handles. Not exactly what I was going for. Needless to say, I spent some quality time with my seam ripper.
The other problem is with the patchwork. Now, patchwork and I have never really seen eye to eye. A nice, even, straight patchwork requires patience, and precisely-measured pieces to sew together. The biggest patchwork success I have had is my beach quilt, which I love, and for which I painstakingly measured and cut thirty-six perfect squares, and sewed them together slowly and purposefully.
That is not my normal way of doing things.
In making this bag, I went back to my usual method, took the unmeasured scraps from those perfect quilt squares, slapped them together, and attached the resulting panel to some pieces of linen.
Somewhere along the line, things got a little wonky.
I had originally planned to put a couple of my buttons on the front, above the patchwork, and to use this bag as a beach tote (it coordinates perfectly with my quilt) but now I don’t know. Looking at the crooked patchwork makes me want to call this one a prototype and try again. I’m not too happy with the inner pockets, either. They don’t seem like they will hold up well.
I’m not sure what will become of it now.
On the plus side…
I couldn’t really mess up the back of it! 🙂