Neil says in the 14 years we’ve been married, that I’ve gotten weirder. The term “flickr freak” was bandied about. As you can see, my finger is on the camera trigger. I should point out that I wasn’t insulted by that comment, and that Neil is not exactly the most normal person I’ve ever met either. We are well-suited to each other in our oddballness.
I wrote this post last night, in my head, while lying in bed after midnight. I made a deal with myself that if I were still awake at 1:00, I’d go downstairs and type it up – no point in wasting precious time waiting for sleep that won’t come, right?
As it turns out, I was awake at 1:00, but I felt so close to dozing, I stayed put.
I’m blaming caffeine for my little bout of insomnia. I’ve become more succeptible to it’s stimulant properties as I’ve gotten older. I’ve been having very little caffeine lately (especially since giving up my Dr. Pepper iv drip for Lent) but yesterday I went completely caffeine crazy without even thinking about it. At least, I didn’t think about it until after midnight when my body was so sleepy and my brain would not stop bouncing from subject to subject like a hyped-up schoolgirl.
Yesterday morning, I treated myself to a Peppermint Mocha Frappaccino. Caffeinated drink #1. Then in the evening, Neil and I went to an Indian restaurant for our anniversary, where I skipped the authentic beverages in favor of a tall, cool glass of Coke. Caffeinated drink #2. Before leaving the restaurant, I had a cup of coffee (which, by the way, was delicious – I think there may have been some Indian spice of some kind in it). Caffeinated drink #3. And lastly, while watching LOST, I uncharacteristically decided to brew myself a cup of coffee. I normally drink decaf at home, but I’d just bought a chocolate truffle variety I wanted to try, so caffeinated drink #4. And none of this occurred to me until it was far too late.
One thing I learned last night: counting caffeinated drinks is not as effective as counting sheep supposedly is.
My mind hopped from topic to topic, including (but not limited to)
- Eamonn’s Birthday on Saturday, and what on earth I am going to do with a small handful of 6-year-olds. My self-entertaining children have left me so ill-prepared for dealing with other kids who may or may not require a cruise director, that any kind of social activity with them frightens me just a little bit.
- What am I going to serve when the kids go home and the family comes over to celebrate? We just had one of these parties a month ago, and I hate to duplicate the menu too, too much.
- When will I have time to make the two shirts I’m thinking of making myself before Saturday, and will there be enough of the bamboo fabric to cover both patterns?
- The series finale of Life on Mars was vaguely dissatisfying to me. I love it when the sweet, sensitive, handsome hero gets the girl. That happened here, but then it didn’t, exactly. Poor, sweet, sensitive, handsome hero. I said as much to Neil before he fell asleep.
- On an unrelated note, Neil wants us to only watch shows with ugly people from now on. Heh.
- How should I transport my buttons to the yarn shop tomorrow? They fit so perfectly in the little plastic tub I have them in, but I don’t want to give that up.
- The buttons would be nice in a kraft paper bag with tissue paper. I’ll do that. (That’s one issue solved)
- What am I going I wear tomorrow? (I didn’t know then, but I know now, so that’s something.)
Today, I’m laying off the stimulating beverages. Right after I finish this cup of chocolate truffle coffee.