Remember my first try at the Weekend Sewing Summer Blouse? I like it ok, but it sort of reminds me of scrubs. Not sure why. Anyway, I futzed around with the pattern this weekend, adding an inch here and removing an inch there, sewing up a sleeveless version, and rejecting it because it fit awfully and looked even worse than it fit. I adjusted the pattern again, sewed up a new version, hated it, but thought it might be salvageable. I ripped out some seams, adjusted the pattern yet again, put a new back on the shirt, and took my husband’s advice that the shirt would look better on me if it had sleeves, and finally. FINALLY. had something to show for my efforts.
What an ordeal! It’s not the book. It’s me. I’m still learning how to adjust patterns so that they will fit my shape, and I do think this weekend’s efforts were worthwhile and educational. Besides that, I now have a pattern that fits me well, and I can crank out more of these as I see fit.
And I do see fit 🙂
I really like the modifications Ashley of Film in the Fridge made and I think some version of them may be next on my list. I’m also thinking I might try sleeveless again, or short sleeves of some kind, because despite this being called a “Summer Blouse” I just can’t wrap my brain around long sleeves in July. I’m a tank top kind of girl.
So, the specifics: The shirt itself is white cotton (might be a linen/cotton blend – it’s been in my stash so long I’m having trouble remembering). The placket and neck trim is a print from Heather Bailey’s Freshcut collection. I took a hint from Erin of House on Hill Road, and closed up the neck with a zig-zag stitch. It’s subtle and it will stay put. I also left off the button, as I like the neck to be open.
The great thing about using the Heather Bailey print as the contrast, is that I have a nice little pile of baubles I’d made to coordinate with it. As such, only one question remains: