Can you believe it is almost the end of May already? I really can’t. My favorite month has flown right by. My peonies are finally blooming, and I hear local strawberries are right around the corner. They’re both a little bit late this year, but that’s ok. I think at this point I am over being irked by winter. It already feels like ancient history, what with all of the lush greenery around here, and the open windows… I wouldn’t mind having May weather all the time.
The mosaic below represents other people’s pictures that spoke to me this week. Be sure to click on the titles below the mosaic, if you want to know more about the image or the photographer behind it.
1. You know how you shouldn’t shop for groceries when hungry? I think I shouldn’t shop for craft supplies when having color palette cravings…went with same palette for three different unrelated projects (I do love that JoAnns is open till 9…I think…), 2. Mimosa Blossom, 3. echineacea, 4. the march cloud, 5. Collar corto Mokume, 6. IMG_2315, 7. Sunset, 8. Going to sew a #typewriter cover for the #Royal, 9. May 26 2014, 10. Colorful Polymer Clay Cane, 11. Lantana, 12. Pensacola Beach National Seashore—Florida Panhandle
Around the Web
I spend some time earlier in the week sharing my favorite crafty links through social media. And then I repeat them here on Fridays.
- bias tape tutorial (all by machine): a video tutorial from angry chicken.
I have never been able to get binding right, but this video has made it crystal clear to me.
- Cherry Cupcakes: a recipe from CherryMan.
CherryMan makes 100% natural maraschino cherries (very cool, considering what is in the regular kind). I made a variation of this recipe switching in a confectioners sugar glaze for the buttercream frosting.
- Fringed Chambray Napkins: a sewing project from The Purl Bee.
I always think of light blue when I think of chambray, but these are done in navy and red, too. And I love how the fringe is multi-colored due to they way the fabric is woven.
- cappuccino anyone?: a sewing show-and-tell from Betz White.
I like Betz’s new shirt. And darn it – she’s made me want my own pair of red Saltwater Sandals!
- cute blankets: crochet pinterest finds from emma lamb.
This post really makes me want to start another blanket.
- Could the Clothes on Your Back Halt Global Warming?: food for thought from Collectors Weekly.
This is an excellent (albeit very long) article about sustainability in fashion. Worth a read.
- Announcing Performance Piquè: a new type of customizable fabric from Spoonflower Blog.
I have a preference for natural fabrics, but I have to admit it is tempting to think of sewing some custom workout tops…
- Maybelle Square: a crochet pattern from My Rose Valley.
Having spent a lot of trial and error myself last year making a flower into a square, I know where she’s coming from with this. These squares are lovely. They’d make a nice blanket.
I decided that since I am now sharing fewer links than before, I should at least give them a little bit of context for you. I hope you find something good to read in there!