I’ve had this post planned for oh, two or three weeks. I was going to show you this luscious bamboo fabric, the two fabulous shirts I sewed from it, and the magical transformation that came over them when I stirred them around in a few buckets of dye.
There were a few glitches along the way, but I’m going to share the story anyway, because I’m nothing if not stubborn 🙂
It started, as many of these dye-bath adventures do, with a virtual trip to Dharma Trading Company, wherein I purchased two yards of 57″ Bamboo Dobby fabric. (I also bought some yarn and a little book of fabric swatches in case I felt like someday experimenting with another kind of unusual fabric.) Bamboo dobby is dreamy. It drapes beautifully, has superior moisture-wicking properties, and is pleasant to sew with. My two yards were clamoring to become two summer shirts. And so they did:
I very much loved the one on the left. Let me get sidetracked for a moment here and tell you about this pattern. This is the ubiquitous Simplicity 3835 Built by Wendy top that is all over the internet. I’ve made a good many of them myself in the last two years. The thing is, when I bought my pattern two summers ago, I was brand new to sewing and I bought the size that was entirely too small for me. I modified that pattern to make it fit, but it always seemed to have issues of one kind of another. I finally splurged and bought myself another copy of the pattern in the correct size, and wouldn’t you know, this first try fit me right out of the gate. I didn’t have to futz with the pattern one iota. So nice. Can’t wait to make more!
Anyway, moving on… The shirt on the right was a modification of the Summer Blouse from Weekend Sewing. And oh, what a bad modification it is. The V in front ended up being entirely too deep for my taste (I actually pulled it up a little for the photo), and I just didn’t like the way it looked. My hope was that dying it dark would make me love it more.
This morning I assembled the two newly-sewn shirts, and two “slub tees” from Target that I thought would be perfect for this. I tried various experiments with these, since, for me, that’s where the fun of dying is:
- The first shirt bathed for 30 minutes in chartreuse, then I wrung it out, put a few rubber bands around the middle portion, and placed the bottom half in a royal blue bucket for 5 minutes. Then I wrung it out again, put another rubber band below the first two, and left the bottom third of the shirt in a dark avocado bucket for 5 minutes.
- Shirt number two bathed for 30 minutes in royal blue. Then I wrung it out, crumpled it up in a tiny ball, secured it with a rubber band, and left it in the dark avocado bath for 10 minutes.
- The third shirt spent 30 minutes in chartreuse, then I wrung it out, tied it in a big knot around the middle, and left it in royal blue for 10 minutes.
- The last one spent 35 minutes in dark avocado, and 5 minutes in chartreuse.
After following the dye manufacturer’s washing instructions, these are the four shirts I ended up with. I really love the way the two t-shirts in the back came out, especially the dark one, which I happen to be wearing right now. So, yay, Target tees! The shirt with the v-neck doesn’t really look any better with the dye than it did without, so I think that one is still destined for the junk pile.
The Simplicity top? I love it, I really do. Except for a few things:
- It seems to have shrunk, despite the fact that I pre-washed the fabric before I sewed with it.
- I’m not too crazy about the placement of the dye pattern. It seems a little “off” to me.
- Worst of all, though, the !@#$%^&* bamboo frayed so much it pulled apart at least four of my seams!! I’m not sure I can salvage it. This photo op may be the last time I ever get to wear this shirt. Poop.
So, what went wrong? In researching bamboo online a bit this afternoon, I came up with two theories. Either I should have pre-washed the fabric multiple times to get all of the shrinking potential out of it, or I should have ignored the dye manufacturer’s instruction to wash the finished shirts in HOT water.
If anyone has any wisdom pertaining to the successful sewing with and dying of bamboo dobby fabric, please leave a comment. I don’t want to give up on this material. I love the sustainability of bamboo, but even more, I love the way it drapes.
In the meantime, I’m going to see if I can fix this messed up shirt (the royal blue one got messed-up in the same way, but I don’t really like it enough to bother fixing it).
I also have an idea for a bamboo experiment that might answer all of my questions, if I’m patient enough. Big if, though 😉