This has been a strange August, in terms of the weather. We’ve barely exceeded 80 degrees most days, and the nights have often dipped into the 50s. There has been very little humidity, a fact which has me happily leaving all of the windows thrown open wide all day and all night. I can’t remember the last time I turned on my air conditioner.
No this has not been a typical New Jersey August in the least. In fact, it feels more like September in many ways, and that’s what I wanted to capture in my newest mix CD. It’s that feeling of impending autumn. Mellow and contemplative. A little windy. Cloudy. And yet not quite the end of summer.
School is still a few weeks away, and we probably have time for another beach trip, so I’m not throwing in the towel on summer just yet. But I am really enjoying these slightly chilly evenings and this mix makes a good soundtrack to that.
For the cover, I used a photo I took a few Septembers ago and added some graphic elements to make it look like a vintage album cover, complete with wear and tear.
I had so much fun doing the cover, in fact, that I made a few more just for kicks. There are no mixes to go with these. They’re just covers.
I could do this all night. But I won’t 🙂
Here’s what you’ll find on The Breezy Sounds of Late Summer:
1. The Mowgli’s – Emily (3:32)
2. David Wax Museum – Will You Be Sleeping? (3:28)
3. Ditty Bops – Breeze Black Night (2:59)
4. John Denver – Windsong (3:57)
5. Toad The Wet Sprocket – Windmills (3:46)
6. April Smith & The Great Picture Show – Can’t Say No (3:16)
7. Pink Martini – Sway (3:37)
8. Michael Bublé – Haven’t Met You Yet (4:04)
9. Grand Archives – Orange Juice (1:31)
10. Simon & Garfunkel – Cloudy (2:21)
11. The Innocence Mission – The Leaves Lift High (3:57)
12. Beck – Heart Is A Drum (4:31)
13. Elizabeth & the Catapult – Like It Never Happened (2:40)
14. K.S. Rhoads – If You Want Love (4:58)
15. James – Laid (2:36)
16. The Paper Kites – Bloom (3:31)
17. Van Morrison – Into The Mystic (3:27)
18. Gentlemen Hall – Sail Into The Sun (3:34)
19. Nick Gallant – Wanderlust (3:12)
20. Twin Forks – Cross My Mind (3:34)
21. Echosmith – Cool Kids (3:57)
22. The Postmarks – Summers Never Seem To Last (3:13)
23. The Association – Windy (2:56)
You can have a listen through the embedded player below, or (if you don’t see a player there) you can go directly to the playlist here.
Now go pour yourself a cup of decaf, open a window, and enjoy the music!
2 thoughts on “The Breezy Sounds of Late Summer”
Thanks Lisa! Our Connecticut summer has been mighty funky too – not that I’m complaining. Summer is still summer to me. By the way, any playlist that includes Van Morrison’s ‘Into The Mystic’ gets a five star rating from me! Take care, Pam
If it wasn’t for the fact that the cool temperatures make swimming a frigid affair, I’d think this summer’s weather has been absolutely perfect! Hope you enjoy the music 🙂