After gushing so excitedly about granny squares and clay last weekend, you’d think I’d have gone millefiori crazy, made a small pile of afghan canes, written up a fabulous tutorial, put it up for sale in the download shop, and then hopped up and down yelling, “go check it out! you’ll love it! you’ll learn something!”
That was the plan, actually, but it kind of backfired.
I did, in fact, sit down to make another afghan cane. I chose my colors carefully, came up with an innovative and intricate design on paper, set up my camera, and spent two hours building my cane and photographing every step. When the magic moment came, I sliced into the cane, and instead of “oooooooooh!” I thought “meh.”
The colors were so unremarkable, so uninspiring, and just a bit muddy. I couldn’t use this cane in a tutorial whose main purpose was to say “look at the cool thing you can do with colors!” Meh.
So the next day I re-thought my innovative and intricate design, as well as my color choices, went clay shopping, and tried again. Over the course of two days, I employed my (new and improved) revolutionary cane-construction plan, photographing every step, only to get to the very last part and discover that there was a good reason why people didn’t make canes this way. It didn’t want to fit together nicely at all. I pushed, prodded, and squeezed until it was rectangular enough to reduce properly. When it was roughly rectangular, I examined it carefully, and wouldn’t you know it? During the last step of the assembly, I’d oriented the two halves in opposite directions. And because of all of my pushing, prodding, and squeezing, there was no way in the world to take it apart and assemble it properly. And so once again, I didn’t have “oooooooooh!” I had “argh.”
I definitely couldn’t publish a tutorial based on that mess! Argh.
And so it was that I wasted two days and ten packages of Sculpey this week, and ended up with nothing to show for it.
This cane-making thing can be frustrating, particularly when you’ve got a design that is so complicated it’s impossible to know whether it’s going to work until you are nearly at the end of the assembly process. It’s even more of a kick in the head when you thought you were being clever. But you weren’t.
So, poop. POOP, I say!
I refuse to be defeated by this idea, but I also think I kind of need to tear myself away from it for a few days.
Concentrate on something a little different…
Like, maybe, converting all of the tutorials and patterns in the download shop to ebook formats?
Yes, I think that might hit the spot nicely. So as of last night, I’m learning how to convert all of my downloadable tutorials into EPUB and MOBI formats so that they can be read on the Nook and Kindle, respectively! I’ve been wanting to do this for ages, and as luck would have it, I happen to live with an expert on the subject. (That would be Neil, BTW.)
So, I may not have that afghan cane tutorial written or photographed just yet, but when I do, I’ll be able to offer it in all kinds of formats, for all kinds of readers. Yay!
I love indulging my inner nerd now and then.
P.S. I may have given up working on that cane for a few days, but I’ve still got my hands in the clay in other ways. It’s not too late to order a custom crochet hook. But do hurry, though. I will have to cut off the ordering in a day or two so that I can get my supplies. Thanks!