Whether you are motivated by frugality, by the desire to live in an eco-friendly way, or by an abundance of fun and funky vintage sheets in your linen closet, this simple tutorial should appeal to you.
The steps are few, and they are explained in plain English. This means, even those who are brand new to sewing can make this skirt without feeling intimidated by a lot of the specialized jargon found on many commercial patterns.
Vintage bed sheets from the 1960’s and 70’s are perfect candidates for skirt-making, with their wild floral patterns. One trip to the thrift shop can arm you with a summer’s-worth of inexpensive fabric to upcycle into an entire warm-weather wardrobe!
The project is great for beginners! If you can sew a straight line, then you can do this!
More than just a simple sewing pattern, this ebook is like a mini-class. Each topic includes step-by-step instructions and photos where appropriate.
You will learn:
- How to measure and cut the correct amount of fabric to fit your own figure
- How to sew the fabric into a skirt shape
- How to make an elastic casing
- Help deciding between a full or fitted silhouette
- How to adapt the instructions for use with quilting cottons
- How to sew a hem, if necessary
Tools and Materials
- twin-size flat sheet
- yard stick
- tape measure (optional)
- washout cloth marker
- sewing machine
- thread to coordinate with the sheet
- 1/2-inch or 1/4-inch elastic to fit comfortably around your waist