From those first crisp moments of fall, to the last lingering chills of spring, this Everyday Cardigan knitting pattern will be a wardrobe staple. Throw it over your favorite tee, layer it under a light Winter jacket, wrap it around you as you sit by the fire and watch the falling snow… This sweater is meant to be worn every day. Whether you’re sitting around the house in a t-shirt and jeans, or hitting the town in a corduroy skirt and boots, this cardi will be right at home.
Knit almost entirely in stockinette stitch, the pattern is straightforward enough for a relative beginner, but includes a little bit of ribbing and some seed stitch details to add visual interest.
If you are a new knitter, don’t let terms like “ribbing” and “seed stitch” scare you off – these are simply combinations of knits and purls. If you can do those two stitches, then you’ve got this!
The project is geared towards intermediate knitters and motivated beginners. If you have these skills:
- Long-tail and backwards loop cast-ons
- Knit and Purl
- Increasing and decreasing
- Picking up stitches
- Basic bind-off
then you can do this.
And if you don’t have a few of those skills? The playlist below can help you fill in the gaps.
Topics Covered (Photo Tutorial Version Only)
More than just a simple knitting pattern, this ebook is like a mini-class. Each topic includes step-by-step instructions and photos where appropriate.
You will learn:
- Knitting seed stitch
- Knitting ribbing
- Making a buttonhole
- Knitting a seamless circular yoke with seed stitch and ribbed details
- Separating the body from the sleeves
- Knitting the body of a sweater with button band and ribbed hem
- Knitting sleeves
- Choosing what size to knit
- making a gauge swatch
- Reading a multi-size pattern
- Links to resources to help you learn more
Tools and Materials
This pattern fits chest sizes 32 (34, 36, 40, 42, 44, 48)”
- 785 (834, 888, 988, 1058, 1136, 1215) yards worsted-weight wool or wool blend, like Cascade 220
- A set of 5 US #7 double point needles
- One US #7 (4.5mm) 32” or larger circular needle
- One US G (4mm) crochet hook
- Six 3/4” buttons
- yarn needle
- stitch markers
- 2 yards of waste yarn for holding stitches