Three hanks of the suggested yarn should give you exactly enough to make three coordinating hats in three different stripey combinations. Bright and cheery colors are the perfect antidote to gloomy Winter grays! Plus, one hat can be finished in a single evening using either a Knifty Knitter loom or circular needle.
- Long-tail cast-on for needles, or e-wrap cast-on for loom
- Knit and purl
- Sewing on a button
Tools and Materials
- Three 65-yard hanks of bulky-weight thick-and-thin yarn in different colors
- 1-inch focal button
- 41-peg round knitting loom or 16-inch size #15 circular needle
- Tapestry needle
A Note for Loom Knitters
The knitting loom instructions were originally written for the Yellow Knifty Knitter loom, which has since been discontinued. You may still be able to find a used one online, but if you can’t, try looking for a loom that is meant for bulky yarn, and has between 38 and 44 pegs. Just be aware that your finished hat size may vary, if you use a substitute loom.
A Note About Resources
This pattern was written some time ago, and as such, the resources section contains broken links. Here are some updated resources for you.
- Malabrigo Gruesa: Gruesa is discontinued, but Malabrigo Caracol is a recommended substitute (I have not tried it myself!)
- Polka Dot Cottage handcrafted buttons: This specific style of button was discontinued, but a new style is available now here
- Knifty Knitter looms: Also discontinued. Here’s an Amazon.com search for 41-peg knitting looms