You will learn how to crochet an eight-petal flower, and add granny-style rounds that transform the motif into a square shape. Once complete, these squares can be used anywhere that you would normally use a granny square – blankets, table toppers, scarves, and more!
In this project, you’ll combine 48 of the flower-granny hybrids to create a lap-sized blanket perfect for those chilly evenings by the fire. You’ll learn a nifty border technique, too, that starts off like a traditional granny border, but ends with pretty scallops that echo the shape of the flower petals.
Follow the pattern exactly as written to get a creamy white throw with bright red flowers and aqua centers (a very vintage combination), or make it a stashbuster project and use up all of the reds, aquas, and greens in your collection like I did in the sample!
You will need to know how to
- make a slip knot
- chain stitch
- slip stitch
It is recommended that you also be familiar with
- single crochet
- half double crochet
- double crochet
- triple crochet
If you don’t know how to do these four stitches, they are explained within the instructions. Also, if you need to see the stitches worked, take a look at my video:
Topics Covered (Photo Tutorial Version Only)
More than just a simple crochet pattern, this ebook is like a mini-class. Each topic includes step-by-step instructions and photos where appropriate.
You will learn:
- How to crochet an eight-petal flower
- How to transform a flower shape into a four-sided motif with granny square-type edges
- How to join granny squares together as you go
- How to add a scalloped border to your blanket
- How to expand your color choices for more visual interest or for stashbusting purposes
- How to approach your workflow in order to make a large project less overwhelming
For those that don’t need the tutorials, the pattern is also available by itself. Choose the option that best suits you!
Tools and Materials
The Mod Floral blanket measures 40”x54” and consists of eight rows of six squares. You are welcome to make your blanket larger or smaller, but you will need to adjust the yarn quantity accordingly.
- 15 skeins of Berroco Vintage, or comparable worsted-weight yarn (roughly 3000 yards) in a variety of colors
- G (4mm) hook
- yarn needle