Were you reading this blog in the summer of 2012? If so, then you might remember the Granny Square Sampler.
This was a crochet-along hosted by Blair of Wise Craft, and it was inspired by a sampler afghan she saw in an old magazine.
I jumped on the bandwagon back then, happy to be a part of a group thing, but eventually I let it languish. See, I had enjoyed being told what to do for each square, and was a bit disappointed to not also be told how to arrange the squares together in the end. This was going to take some actual thought on my part, and I was more in the mood for brainless than I was for thinky. So I set it aside.
Fast forward a year and a half, and I am between projects. I’m in a bit of a decluttering mode at home (yay! finally!) and so the idea of starting something new (and possibly acquiring more yarn in the process) doesn’t appeal to me. I don’t have a whole lot of UFOs laying around, but I do have the sampler, and it’s kind of a big one.
I had finished all of the required squares except for one, and I had bought all of this yarn for it that was just sitting there. It really deserved to be completed once and for all.
So, let me show you the two sets of squares I did a long time ago and never shared here (weeks 12 and 13):
Yeah, I know the green one is missing a round of white. I was going to just leave it like that, but the more I look at it the more it annoys me. I will probably end up fixing it.
These are the ones I just did a few days ago, and they’re the last motifs required for the blanket (week 14):
I like them! I found the starting section in the middle to be a bit fiddly, but once you get past that, the rectangle is cool. I’ve considered doing a rectangular granny blanket in the past (as in, a blanket that is just one big rectangular granny), and now I think I may just do that sometime.
Ok, so all of the squares are done now.
Are you impressed?
I have stared at this arrangement of squares for a long time, and I can’t get past one thing: putting them together into a blanket I actually like is going to be a challenge.
Let me admit one thing here: I consider the original inspiration afghan to be – how shall I put this? Um, let’s just say, “random.”
I wish I liked random, but I really don’t.
I signed up to do this, though, because I thought I could save it with a coherent color scheme. The more I look at these squares, though, the more I feel that there is no color scheme in the world that could make me love this mish-mosh of squares, if they are to be arranged in the way of the original. I need order. It’s all just too jumbled for me, with motifs looking like they were forced into place. Ugh, I just can’t do it!
So, I came up with an idea: SQUARES
If I can work each of the different groups of motifs into squares that are the same size, and then connect those squares together into a blanket, then I think I will like this.
Let me show you what I mean:
So, here I have taken the two largest granny squares, and made them even bigger by adding more rounds to them. I’ve also taken the four granny circles, hooked them together, and then worked around the outside until I had a square of the same size as the other two.
I plan to do this with all of the motifs – turn them into 11-round granny squares – and then use a 12th round on each square to join as I go.
I’m actually kind of excited about this now. Fitting all of these random motifs into standard 11-round squares will be an interesting technical challenge for me, and then arranging those squares into a blanket will be a fun aesthetic challenge.
I do plan to keep this blanket in the van once it’s done, so it really doesn’t have to be the most attractive thing in the world anyway. I’m just glad that it won’t be the ugliest thing in the world either, because I had my doubts!