The Afghan Cane consists of sixteen polymer clay “granny squares” assembled in a grid, much like a crocheted afghan would be. Unlike the crocheted version, though, we don’t have to create sixteen individual granny squares to make a colorful blanket. Through the magic of polymer color blends, we can generate a multitude of differently-colored squares with a single cane!
If you are comfortable with the Skinner blend technique and can reduce and re-assemble millefiori canes, you can do this project.
Tools and Materials
- 5 packages of clay (black, white, and three colors)
- pasta machine
- clay blade
- optional cutters and extruder
Through this ebook you will learn:
- How to choose colors that will look nice together and provide the necessary contrast
- How to make a partial blend
- Anatomy of a crocheted granny square
- How to build a polymer cane that mimics the look of a granny square, and re-assemble it to create a 16-square “afghan”
- Ideas for varying the look of the afghan through borders or different color choices
The Afghan Cane is fully-illustrated and available in PDF, EPUB (Nook, iPad, Sony eReader, etc.), and MOBI (Kindle) formats. $7.99
Your Shopping CartThe cart is currently empty.
Visit The Shop